Monday, June 03, 2013

A Birthday Blog

 or
"Why You No Blog More?"

Today is my birthday. I am very old. Don't ask me how old because I will lie or tell a rambling story or distract you in some way. Look! An eskimo! Let's just say: "Young enough to do it; old enough to do it right." This, by the way, is a sure-fire way to end 'how old are you?' conversations.

Anyway, I had a productive year of writing. Given that I only wrote 12 blog posts in 6 months, I must have some other project going on. Eh? Eh?

I have just finished the first draft of a 401-page children's book, currently called "Onederland." I've also sketched out the story for the sequel, "Timbuktwo". The illustrations below are from the stupendously talented artist I've collaborated with. 

Onederland tells the story of these characters:


Silver: A one-eyed boy with a small balloon and a big appetite. 
Summer: A happy-go-lucky flibbertigibbet who, like all girls, is equal measure annoying and useful. 
Treepio: A bird who learns the true meaning of Christmas. (Note - that's a lie. He's a very clever bird who helps them with their adventure.)


Along the way they meet this guy. He's an Org, but don't worry. He won't bonk you on the head. He's too busy tending to his plants. 


Oh no! Why is that river so feeble? Where's all the water gone? I hope there isn't a dastardly plot behind it! Involving pirates and bandits and eyepatches! Actually, I hope there IS. That sounds fun.


The main character's smugness is modeled after my own. Readers are sure to love him.

So that's what I've been working on. I'm taking a tiny break from it and in a few weeks will start the rewrite. It's almost certainly going to be the best thing I've ever done.

That frisson of anticipation you are currently experiencing? That's my birthday gift to you. You're welcome.
.


No comments:

Post a Comment